Social Media Marketing
In
2009, when our commercial real estate brokerage business resembled a post war
apocalypse, my wife and I made a fateful decision. She went back to school to
earn an advanced degree in apparel manufacturing at the Fashion Institute of
Design and Merchandising, better known as FIDM, in Los Angeles. She loved every
minute of it, graduated first in her class, and eventually opened a successful
business crafting custom wedding handkerchiefs for brides in New Orleans.
You may
be wondering what this has to do with commercial real estate. Indulge me.
One
afternoon she returned from class with an idea.
“You
need to start blogging.”
I
had no idea what that meant, but I was curious.
She
explained it this way. “Write about what you do. Post it online. Create a
digital footprint.”
Then
she coined a phrase I’ve never forgotten.
“Work
out loud.”
Do
the work once. Write about it. Let it live forever.
She
was absolutely right.
Seventeen
years later, I still publish a weekly commercial real estate blog. This
newspaper column grew from that effort. LinkedIn, X, Facebook, YouTube and,
more recently, TikTok have become extensions of that same philosophy. Instead
of hoping people discover what we do, we show them.
So
what have all these years of marketing commercial real estate through social
media taught me?
First,
consistency beats brilliance. One thoughtful post every week for years will outperform
a burst of daily activity followed by months of silence.
Second,
educate before you promote. People rarely share advertisements, but they
frequently share ideas that help them make better decisions.
Third,
authenticity wins. You don’t have to be the funniest, loudest or most
controversial voice online. You simply need to be genuine and useful.
Fourth,
your digital reputation often precedes your personal introduction. Many prospective
clients know more about you before the first meeting than they ever could have
learned from a brochure or résumé.
Finally,
remember that social media is not a substitute for relationships. It is simply
an amplifier. Lunches still matter. Phone calls still matter. Handwritten notes
still matter. Social media simply keeps you top of mind between those
interactions.
I’ve
often been asked whether blogging, posting and producing videos directly resulted
in business. The answer is yes, but perhaps not in the way you might expect.
Rarely
has a client called and said, “I hired you because of one post.”
Instead,
they say something far more meaningful.
“I
feel like I already know you.”
Trust
is built long before the first assignment is signed.
My
wife recognized that nearly two decades ago. She saw that sharing knowledge
would create opportunities that cold calls alone never could. Looking back, her
advice may have been one of the best marketing lessons I’ve ever received.
Sometimes
the most valuable commercial real estate advice doesn’t come from another
broker. Sometimes it comes from someone who simply encourages you to work out
loud.
No comments :
Post a Comment